Until Cintoo Connect supports LAS/LAZ files natively (due for mid-2023), you will need to turn your LAS files into E57 files for your drone or mobile point clouds.
We suggest 3 options to turn your LAS files into E57 files:
- Manual workflow with Autodesk ReCap
- Manual workflow with CloudCompare
- Command Line workflow with CloudCompare
- 1 file at a time only
- For more files/batch : please contact email@example.com
Using Autodesk ReCap
- Open Autodesk ReCap and select ‘Import point cloud’:
- Select the folder where your LAS file is located:
- Click on ‘Select file to import’ and select ‘Lidar LAS files (*.las)’:
- import your LAS file.
- Make sure that the decimation option is disabled in the ‘Advanced’ options:
- Click on ‘Import Files’ and ‘Launch Project’
- Then, export your file and select the E57 export option:
- Get the free open-source CloudCompare software from: CloudCompare
- Install CloudCompare on your computer
- Open CloudCompare and import your LAS file.
- Then, export your file and select the E57 export option.
Using Command Line with CloudCompare
- Get the free, open-source CloudCompare software from: CloudCompare
- Install CloudCompare, even in portable version.
- You must be familiar with the use of command lines and Command Prompt DOS language.
- Known Limitation: Directory path and point cloud files names must not contain any spaces.
- Open a command prompt and use cd command to switch to the corresponding folder where the LAS or LAZ files are located.
- Run the following command by changing the path to cloudcompare.exe.
- The path depends on your installation.
- You must keep the quotes before and after as in the example below and choose the input LAS or LAZ file and output filename.
- Command line is:
- “D:\your_path_to_CloudCompare_installation_folder\CloudCompare.exe” -SILENT -AUTO_SAVE OFF -O -GLOBAL_SHIFT AUTO “input_filename.las” -C_EXPORT_FMT E57 -EXT e57 -SAVE_CLOUDS FILE “output_filename.e57”
- CloudCompare will convert the file in E57 without opening the user interface of the software.
NOTE: There is a possibility to use this CloudCompare command line option in batch mode to convert multiple files instead of one only. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
Thanks for your feedback.
Post your comment on this topic.